Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Good books and great coffee

So I worked the early shift today. I love opening the store. It may be way earlier than I care to be awake, but for some reason I find myself in a better mood and functioning better somewhere in that misty space between sleep and reality. The drive at 5am is much calmer, and it's great to be done with a day of work somewhere around lunch time. Besides, what better place to spend those early morning hours than a coffee shop, especially for someone as addicted to the beverage as I am. It works for me!

Tomorrow is my day with my kids. Have I mentioned that I love all of my random jobs?

I just finished reading a book called Inside Afghanistan by John Weaver. It's about an American (the author) living in Afghanistan doing relief work with refugees in the year 2001. It speaks of the atmosphere of the country leading up to the events of 9/11, of the hardship that the people of Afghanistan endured at the hands of the taliban. It gives a unique perspective on U.S. retaliation after 9/11. Definately an eye-opener. I was also a moving reminder that there is world beyond America, and in many places it is a very desparate world. Americans tend to forget that.

Jase is coming home this weekend! Yeah!!!! I can't wait to see ya bud, but do you have to go home in the middle of the Superbowl? Honestly!

No comments: