Sunday, March 06, 2005

Lovin' the Tropics

My first day of dive classes went really well. I had a lot of fun. My class consists of me and three British boy who are fresh out of high school and traveling together before starting university. I am glad about that. It's a comfortable class. The boys and the instructors are goofy and fun. My classroom instructor so far has been this tall, barrel-chested Dane with unruly blond hair and a deep red sunburn. He's from Copenhagen and he dove in the waters of Denmark until he could afford to complete his instructor's course and move to this remote little island. My in-water instructor is a very nice Scot names Craig. He has the best accent and eternal patience. He makes the in-water sessions a lot of fun. So far we have only worked in the pool, but tomorrow we head out into shallow water. The next day we hit deeper stuff. They tell me that this past week a team got to see a whale shark where we will be diving the last two days. That would be sooo sweet. A whale shark or a manta ray would be amazing, but not incredibly likely. We shall see what we shall see! Should be exciting.

The island that I'm on is really small and mellow. Not too many people here. It has government regualted power, since it's just a tiny little island out here in the middle of the Bay of Siam, so our little bungalow that we're renting for about $3 each per night only has power from 6pm to 8am. It's all good though, we don't really need power for anything here. Just sunshine, sand, and water.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Your so lucky Sarah I cant believe it. Thats the pleasures of living in the Tropics for sure. It does pay to live around pleasure spots for awhile. Thats why Im in Denver. See..., it all pays off. ;-)

0r4cl3 said...

Awesome!! Glad to hear that you are having a good time! Enjoy yourself!