Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Dinner Entertainment

So teaching summer school has been really good so far. My kids have been really cute. Some of them know no English whatsoever, but some are really good. Basically I'm just teaching conversation and phonics. Today we learned the polite way to respond in English if somebody sneezes. I had a class full of first and second graders sneezing their little hearts out. They were so funny. We had a lot of fun with it.

This evening my friends and I went to the mall and to Khao San Road. Khao San is such a backpackers haven. All the European tourists who are doing the southeast Asia loop stay there while they are in Bangkok. It's a cheap place to stay and a good shopping area. The markets there have all kinds of random things that foreign tourists want. It's definitley a different atmosphere from the markets here where I live though. It's nice to go there and eat western food, and mingle with so many random people, but the atmosphere there is much more jaded and harsh than it is here in my neighborhood.

Tonight my friends and I ate at a really good Italian restaurant on Khao San. The table that we sat at was out on the sidewalk. An adorable ten-year-old boy came to our table trying to sell us roses, and ended up spending the evening there. I practiced all of my Thai on him and he entertained us with coin tricks. My friend bought him ice cream and he made himself at home at our table. He was SOOO cute! We had a really good time playing with him until he finally got shewed away by a local cop. Of course we each bought a rose from him before he left. I gave mine to another vender's daughter who was also very adorable. Fun times. It's moments like those I'll miss when I leave Thailand. Evening like that make this place special.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sure was super cute!
;)

amoetspes said...

Super, super cute!!!