Thursday, December 16, 2004

Renewed Perspective

Two days ago I had a really long chat (on-line) with a friend of mine from Egypt. Everytime we talk, he challenges and encourages me. He always makes me think. He is never confrontational or accusing, but what he says and his perspective on things always seems to challenge or change mine. It is so good to talk to him.

I told him about some of my frustrations and struggles here. I really struggle with the administration at the school that I work at. They honestly make me crazy. I also struggle almost daily with missing friends, family, and my culture. It's not easy to live in another country, another culture, especially at the beginning. The adjustment period seems to be the hardest for me. It was nice to be honest with him, to not pretend to be doing better than I am. He really encouraged me though, and reminded me of why I am here.

I am happy to be here. It is such a priveledge to be able to live and work here, to be able to be a part of people's lives here. I tend to grumble and complain about all the stress and issues that I have here, but honestly, everytime I walk into the Kindergarten class, and little munchkins launch themselves through the air at me joyfully shouting "Miss SaLAH, Miss SaLAH all of the stress and issues fade away. When I leave a classroom feeling like my students actually learned something, I am jubulant. After the adult ESL classes that I teach in the evenings, I always feel so fulfilled. I know that God brought me here. I know that He had a reason in doing it. I really am thankful to be here. I am thankful to serve a God that know the purpose in our struggles, and Who feels the pain of them too.

1 comment:

0r4cl3 said...

That's awesome to hear Sarah, and plus you do have something to look forward to: vacation time and your brother coming home. btw, I will get your friend the same journal that I have, that way I can say: "Someone in Thailand has the same journal as me!" Plus, I know they will love it, as it is very ornate and beautiful!