Saturday, December 04, 2004

A Two-foot Tree

I met that a pastor from the U.S. downtown today for breakfast. It was nice to chat with him. It made me realize though, what a different world I live in here. I am not sure what it was about the conversation that triggered that feeling. I suddenly felt really out of touch with America. It was quite strange. After he left I spent the rest of the day wandering around Bangkok by myself. It was kind of nice to just wander without rhyme or reason, all by myself in the city. I got to explore neighborhoods that I hadn't seen before. I wandered around some really ritzy touristy areas. Bangkok has some nice areas. I also wandered around other areas that were not dripping with the same amount of wealth as the ritzy areas. I felt a little more comfortable there.

While I was out I bought a Christmas cd, a two-foot tree, and some decorations for it. When I came home I borrowed a cd player, put on my cd, and decorated my little sitting room for Christmas. It was exciting, but it also made me a little homesick. I have been doing good lately, but tonight I am slipping a little. I think I am just tired and emotional.

Tomorrow I leave at 6 a.m. for a province a little north of here. Some of my evening students are taking me away for two days. It's going to be fun, and probably pretty funny, since there will definately be langauge issues. I hope that it's a little relaxing. I need some R&R.

2 comments:

0r4cl3 said...

Nice, Christmas in Thailand! Have fun on those two days that you are out. Get some R&R~!

License to thrill said...

a tree as tall as jerome