Sunday, April 03, 2005

Clouds and Contemplation

It stormed today. The thunder cracked louder than I have heard in months and it poured. The weather matched my mood. I said goodbye to so many people today. I was a little depressed, a little lonely. This place is far too quiet now. I don't know how to handle it. I'm sure my class full of rambunctious six and seven-year-olds will snap me out of my cloud of gloom first thing tomorrow morning. I am starting back to my evening classes as well. At least I'll be really busy for my last three weeks here. I'm sure it will be good.

In his prayer at the beginning of today's sermon, my pastor said, "Lord thank You that the whole earth is yours and all that is in it, and that when our eyes are closed in prayer, that is when we see all that we truly possess." What a true statement. Everything in this world that we consider ours can be taken from us in an instant. Nothing tangible is eternal. Only the sacred hope that we have in Christ is lasting. It's a good reminder to hold lightly to what we have on earth, and to set our priorities on the eternal. Something that I certainly struggle with. Something to ponder and work on.

No comments: