Monday, April 18, 2005

Things The Teacher Is Still Learning

Disclaimer:
This post has been inspired by Alyssa (who I have never met in my life) and Tom (who I have known for about half of my life).

I am not about to finish my first year of college like the previously mentioned parties. I am, however, less than a week away from boarding a plane that will take me half a world away from Thailand which has been my home this past year, where I held my first "real adult" job, where I have been stretched and stressed, where I have made incredible memories, spent time with amazing people, and learned a lot about myself and about God. So, to follow in Tom and Alyssa's pattern, here are some of the things that I have learned this year, and am still learning, in no particular order:

1.) I have learned that a lot of people hate America, but I am still proud to be an American. I hope to represent it well and maybe I'll alter their view a little.

2.) I will probably never achieve the epitemy of adulthood that I had in my mind, but that's ok. I don't think anybody does.

3.) Not everything in life that is good is fun. Often experiences that are worth the most are not fun at all.

4.) I can handle more than I thought I could, but just because it's possible doesn't mean it's pleasant.

5.) Understanding a person's culture goes a long way toward understanding a person.

6.) God does not place you somewhere. He takes you there and stays with you. He never gives you a situation that He will not give you the strength to handle. He never abandons.

7.) The future will always be uncertain. Even when things seem stable and planned, nothing is sure, but God will always be there.

8.) You're not going to find a job that you love all the time. Even in the best situation life brings moments of unhappiness, that's where perserverence kicks in.

9.) All people are amazing. Even the ones who drive you crazy, there is something amazing about them.

10.) On my own I am nothing.

1 comment:

0r4cl3 said...

Very nice...I like it a lot. I am still thinking of how to formulate my goodbye posts...I have a lot of stuff to write....