Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Dripping in the Net Cafe

I said my tearful goodbyes to the friends whose house I am staying at today. They left for a family holiday, and I am staying at their house. I didn't realize that saying goodbye was going to be so difficult. I have been through a lot with that family though, everything from our very trying work situation, to First Christmas in Thailand, to Fields of dead bodies after the tsunami. I don't think I would have made it through this year with out that family, and I am really going to miss them.

Now I am dripping in a net cafe in town. Let me tell you how difficult a simple tast like catching a bus to Starbucks can become in the midst of a nation-wide water war! Chiang Mai is chaos right now. It's so funny! Don't step out your front door unless you are ready to participate. Nobody's shy about it either. Pick-up trucks with huge barrels of water and tons of people are driving around everywhere just nailing people with water. Parents have their children armed with super-soakers in the front yard ready to blast any passers-by. People are hanging off of the backs of songtaus with huge water guns strapped to themsleves as if they are part of a special songtau military. Tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxi rides are a bit dangerous right now with the amount of water flying through the air from any given direction at any given time. And of course everyone want a chance to get the farong. Sometimes standing out in the crowd is not an asset, but I guess it does make things interesting -- and a lot of fun!

1 comment:

0r4cl3 said...

That sounds like so much fun!! See ya in 11 days!