Friday, October 08, 2004

I don't have much to say today. My backpack is packed and ready to go. I am just ready to get on that plane.

Lack of communication at work continues to be frustrating. Two more communication failures today. Everything at my work seems to run on assumptions. They just assume that I am super woman, and that I can do anything. They also assume that my life is built around work and that I can just reorganize everything in it for them. I know it is just a cultural difference, but I am really having a hard time adjusting to it. I don't like to be just thrown into a random classroom with no warning and no materials and just told to teach something. I guess I am just used to the North American way of planning and scheduling. I feel like I am just expected to know everything, so nobody tells me anything. Then when I don't know things it's a mess that I have to figure out a way to clean up. I am not by nature a scheduler or planner, but I am used to being surrounded by schedulers, and so I guess that creates the framework for my own chaos. Here there is no framework, it's just chaos. Maybe I am just crazy. That's always a possibility...

3 comments:

amoetspes said...

Sorry for venting...again.

Jeremy said...

venting maybe isnt the word. revealing bits and pieces of ourselves so others can feel like they are in and part of our lives even though we are slowly drifting a way is how I see it. Actually I imagine it as tying our boats together in this vast sea of existence.
in any case, I really just want to make a comment about your work. Get used to it because thats mostly what I have found stateside as well. People except you to do things without laying everything out before you. In every job I know you have to pick up the tricks of the trade along the way. Everyone adapts. I actually enjoy the chaos for the most part. Gives me a challenge. ;-)

amoetspes said...

Good thought, J. I guess venting about it just makes the inevitable easier to handle. Oh, and let's never let each other drift away in that great sea of existence. That goes for all of us.