Saturday, October 16, 2004

Lonely Day

Man, I'm lonely today. This place is dead. Everybody who speaks my language is somewhere else. It really sucks. I don't like the stranded feeling of not being able to drive here. I hate relying on public transportation. I guess I am just used to American independance, and I am struggling with the lack of it here. I didn't expect to struggle with as many culture issues as I have here. I guess that's all part of moving to another country.

Being in Phi Phi was nice because I was surrounded by westerners. I ate familiar food and heard English spoken. For many of the tourists there it may have felt like they were diving into Thai culture, but for me it totally felt like an escape from it. It felt a little like a trip home, to my own culture. I am not saying that I don't like Thai culture, or that I want to escape it. It is just nice to have something familiar every so often.

I talked to my brother on-line today. Man, I miss him. It is so nice to have a brother around, to have a big guy who always takes my side, who has to love me becuase he's blood. It's nice to have someone to hide behind when there is drama in life, someone who understands me better than most because he's been through the most with me. He makes me feel secure. I kind of feel bad for people who don't have siblings. I can't imagine life without them. Anyway, my brother is coming in December, and I am so fricken excited about it. I can't wait to just have him here.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

why does today feel so lonely?