Saturday, November 20, 2004

I ate a grasshopper.

Tonight was a fun night. Six of us girls decided to take the river taxi to the Bangkok Theater Festival. There were a bunch of Thai thespians, Thai dancers, breakdancers, musicians, comedians, and gymnasts performing etc. At this historic park in Bangkok. The performances were really cool, for the most part. Of course the comedians were not very funny to me since I am I have to really strain to understand even a few random words in Thai, but the others were quite entertaining. After we had wandered amongst the performances for a while we decided that we were starving, so we wandered toward Khao San Road (the backpacker haven in Bangkok) to find a place to eat. We found this cute little Jazz pizzeria actually run by an Italian man. We had supper there (mmm) and wandered around the Khao San area for a while. Somewhere along the way this British guy sitting on the street started talking to us. He was sitting with a couple of Thai guys drinking Thai rum and tonic and munching on random snacks. He offered us some, proclaiming the they were "quite good really, just like potato crisps, a wonderful accompaniment to a little shot of Thai whiskey or such." He dropped a morsel into my hand to try one, and I found myself holding a fried grasshopper. "Don't worry they're flavored. They really just taste like soy sauce." A couple of the other girls were a bit grossed out by this, but I was fairly intrigued. I wanted to eat it just so that I could say that I had eaten a fried grasshopper. So I watched him toss back a few and then I popped my own into my mouth and crunched down on it. He was right, it did taste like soy sauce. He offered me a sip of his rum to wash it down with, but I politely declined and swallowed. Not bad. After seeing that I had survived the crunchy little entree, three of the other girls tried them. They didn't find them to be so bad either. Maybe one day fried grasshoppers will become the snack food of choice and Frito Lays will get in on the deal. Then again, maybe not.

3 comments:

0r4cl3 said...

That's awesome Sarah. I would like to try grasshoppers, hey, that's what John the Baptist ate! I hope that you have a good holiday season in Thailand. I would love to be there and go backpacking with you! Do they have Christmas trees there?

amoetspes said...

They don't really have Christmas here, but the ones who celebrate it sometimes decorate coconut trees I think. Man I would love for you to be here to go backpacking with me. That would be so sweet. I am telling ya, we have to backpack Europe sometime.

Jeremy said...

oh the day is coming now that we are all 20 twenty-somethings and can do whatever we want. i think next summer I might live out of my backpack the whole time and only come back to civilization when I need to stock up on food. We shall see. ;-)