Friday, November 19, 2004

A Moment of Transparency

The other night at Bible study we talked about peace. What is peace? Do I have peace? When the word peace is spoken it brings to mind thoughts of bonfires with my friends, or being gathered around the firplace with my family on a cold winter night. Different scenarios like that come to mind depending on my situation and my circumstances.

The other night as I was reading through Scriptures on peace I realized that scenes like that do not really represent peace. They represent comfort and are often accompanied by peace, but scenes like that are not what peace is. As I read about Mary's reaction to the news that she was to give birth to Christ, I saw real peace, not comfort. What she was to go through would not be comfortable at all, but she showed simple trust and acceptance. What a beautiful picture of peace. She would have to go through much: early motherhood, the gossip and disapproval of her family and community, and raising the Son of God as her own and then watching Him suffer and die. It would certainly not be comfortable, and yet her response to the Lord was, "Whatever You will, let it be unto me." That's peace.

True peace is probably much too great a concept to define, but I recognize it in Mary, and I think it has something to do with her simple trust in God and acceptance of His plan for her life. She was willing to be used by Him, willing to endure because she knew her God was in control, that His purpose was higher than hers, and that He loved her even more intimately than she could even love herself.

Do I have that kind of peace? The kind that supercedes my circumstances, my physical and emotional comfort? Honestly, often I don't. I want to fight God's will, I want my own will. So often I lack the simple acceptance of what He has for me. My will has yet to be conquered. I am still selfish and shallow.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

arent we all selfish and shallow. Im proven wrong so many times that you would think Id be more humble. And I am more then I used to be, but my pride still rages like a lion at times. Its hard for a person to be peaceful when they are angry at the world and everything that happens. Understanding God is in control and allowing that thought to absorb your life is the only path to peace I have found, yet I dont always allow that thought to absorb my life. Ah, we continue to learn...