Thursday, November 04, 2004

The Joys of Teaching

Now that school is back in session, my evening classes have started back up, and my tutoring hours are increasing, I haven't had much time to write. The past several days the computers have been jammed anyway with election watchers, most of which aren't even American. I, of course, did my share of watching as well. Speaking of elections, Tom's site was the highlight of my night tonight. Check it out if you get a chance.

Today was really busy. I taught my full schedule at school today plus I doubled up on several classes because another teacher was unable to be there, so no breaks or prep time for me today! When school was over I had a meeting with parents, then tutoring, then prep for my evening class, then I taugh the evening class, then I went out with the other teacher and some of the students. I basically have not stopped since 5:30 this morning! I am loving it though. I am happy to be back in the swing of things. I am happy to be busy. I was sitting in one of my classes this morning watching as the students worked on an assignment together, and in that moment I just brimmed over with love for them. The pride swelled up within my chest as I gazed tenderly on MY students working together so dutifully. The feeling ebbed a bit later in the day when those same little angels were running around, hooping and hollering, and jumping on each other like little monkeys. It's those good moments that make teaching worth it, that make those not so great moments endurable. It took me a while to experience the joy that follows all of the frustration (and for me, tears) of teaching, but I am glad that I am finally getting there. It truly is a rewarding job.

My night class on the other hand has been rewarding and enjoyable from the beginning. I love teaching university students and adults. They come because they are interested in learning. They are excited about what I have to teach them, and they make an effort to understand, even when it is difficult for them. The harder they work the harder I want to work, and vice versa. They are also just fun to relate with. Many of them are my age, so after I am done being the teacher, and they are done being the students, we can just hang out and goof off. It's great. The culture gap always provides interesting conversation as well as comic relief. It's a lot of fun.

2 comments:

0r4cl3 said...

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying what you are doing!! Being so far away from family, friends, and famaliar (sp?) things make it important that you like what you are doing. I hope that the rest of the time you are there goes well for you! Love ya'

Jeremy said...

this is great encouragement to go into the teaching field. ;-)