Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bangkok Markets

The one thing I'm going to miss about living in Bangkok is the markets. Any given sidewalk in this city is crowded with vendors of some form or another. I went to the mall last night with my roomate, but I didn't buy anything there. Why buy stuff at the mall when all of the streets outside of the mall are covered with perfectly good markets which sell things for half the price or less? It's more fun to shop at the markets anyway. You get to interact more (which for a foreigner is usually either hilarious or frustrating). The bartering is like a sport. The stuff is always cheaper. Of course the vendors cause extreme slowdowns in sidewalk traffic, but the hustle and bustle of sidewalk shopping just added to the life and character of the city. It's part of what makes Bangkok, Bangkok.

1 comment:

0r4cl3 said...

It sounds like a blast....I would be broke in 2 hours...hehe