Monday, February 07, 2005

Moment of Nostalgia

I talked to my friend last night. I walked into her townhouse to drop off her dvd player, and ended up staying for three hours. While I was hooking her dvd player back up she spoke up. "I've made a decision. I'm going home." I was totally not expecting that. Just earlier that day we had had a long conversation about how she was staying here again for next year, and all the preparation that goes with it. "You're what?" I blurted. She started crying. "I know I'm needed here and that everyone expects me to stay, but I really need to go home." I ran over to hug her, and we launched into a huge sniffling conversation about expectations and priorities. We just talked about what is important to us. We realized that we are both at a place where we want to settle near home for a while. We want to reconnect with people who are important to us.

Yesterday the song "Oceanfront Property" kept running though my head. It reminded me of when I was little and Dad used to put on his country records and dance with us around the dining room. It made me miss my family. I feel like I am always so far away or I am in transition between far away places. I miss being a part of things. I want to be part of my little brother's adolescence (although once I am I may change my mind, lol). I want to be able to go to breakfast with my Dad. I miss being part of my church, and all of my friends there. I miss seeing the seasons.

I have been really lucky to do all of the things that I've been able to do. I have had some great opportunities, but I'm just ready to be home for a while.

1 comment:

0r4cl3 said...

sounds heartwarming. In less than three months, you will be home!